Looking for something unique to take along to parties this festive season? Look no further – we’ve combined two of our favourite things – coffee and cake – to create an indulgent espresso martini cake to make with your favourite Bean to Door coffee. 😋
What you’ll need –
For the cake:
- 200g unsalted melted butter
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 50g sifted cocoa powder
- 125g each light muscovado and caster sugar
- 150 ml soured cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp your favourite Bean to Door coffee, cooled
- 2 tbsp Kahlùa
For the syrup:
- 100 ml freshly made Bean to Door coffee, cooled
- 3 tbsp Kahlùa
- 75g caster sugar
For the icing:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan) mark 4. For the cakes, grease and line 2 x 20.5cm (8in) round cake tins. Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa, sugars and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Into a jug, measure the soured cream, eggs and vanilla. Whisk briefly to combine. Pour on to the dry ingredients and whisk until fully mixed, then whisk in the melted butter, Bean to Door coffee and Kahlúa. Divide the mixture equally between the tins.
- Bake for 25-30min until risen and firm. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then transfer to a wire
rack to cool completely.
- For the espresso syrup, put the Bean to Door coffee, Kahlúa and caster sugar into a small pan, heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then increase the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes until syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- When the cakes are cool, cut each in half horizontally to make 4 even layers. Make sure all of them are cut-side up, then drizzle each layer with 1tbsp Bean to Door espresso syrup.
- For the icing, whisk together the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar until smooth. Then whisk
in the Bean to Door coffee mixture until combined.
- To assemble, place the first layer of cake on a cake stand, spread with a thin layer of cream cheese icing, top with another cake layer and repeat twice more, finishing with the final
cake layer. Top with the remaining icing. Scatter with Bean to Door coffee beans and drizzle with
the remaining syrup.
Try it out this weekend to prepare for the festive season…take a picture of your finished cake and tag us on Instagram @beantodoor!